On a cold day, I put the word out:
“I intend to start a coat drive. Who’s with me?”
The first person to answer was a recording artist with a big name and an even bigger heart. Together, we held a month-long coat drive, plus a benefit concert for Housing Works. Housing Works, is a not-for-profit group dedicated to helping people affected by the linked-crises of HIV/AIDS and homelessness.
Although it ran for an entire month, the biggest day of the coat drive was the final day. We organized an in-store party with music, food, drinks and more at Coat of Arms (43 Clinton St, New York, NY 10002). At the party, the community came out in one last push to collect warm outerwear for Housing Works. Each donor received free tickets to the wrap concert which took place later that night at Tammany Hall, a venue on the Lower East Side. Donors also received free CDs, Frank151 books, event-related t-shirts and other gifts from our sponsors.
The in-store closing party also featured an art auction of Brian Kavanagh’s urban photography, food from East Village purveyor Lil Frankie’s, and music from Mr. Walt and DJ Bazarro of the Beatminerz.
The after party and concert hosted by LES & VH1 personality Alexandra Estevez, featured a live performance by Cormega, backed by his live band The Revelations. The concert drew a diverse crowd from skateboarders and models, to Hip-Hoppers and downtown tastemakers. The best part? All of the proceeds from the door went straight to Housing Works, along with a large donation of warm outerwear.
Be sure to check out the Cormega ‘Rapture’ music video below. It was created from the live footage of the benefit concert.
Cormega, Chevon, Coat of Arms and 40 Oz Van NYC have teamed up to give back. And you.. you sexy thang… you can help!
The Coat Drive for HousingWorks.org works like this:
1) Start getting your coats, hoodies and other warm outerwear ready TODAY. Look around the house or collect some from your friends. They need ALLLLL sizes!
2) This is the drop-off address.. so write it down!
COAT OF ARMS
43 Clinton St # 2 New York, NY 10002-2416
3) Because we love you and want you to drop off as much as you can.. you have from Wednesday FEBRUARY 16th through Wendesday February 23rd to drop off warm outerwear at Coat of Arms!
4) Bloggers, Reporters, Photographers, Artists, Fashionistas, and music lovers … feel free to help us celebrate the last day of the drop-offs by showing up at Coat of Arms on February 23rd from 7-10pm! While you help us with our last Push, the store will have Mr. Walt, Crazy DJ Bazarro, and DJ Cred on the wheels, Food from Lil’ Frankies Pizza and more.
BUT IT DOESN’T END THERE..
5) EVERYONE who made it their business to drop off warm outerwear between Feb 16th and Feb 23rd will get a free pass to our late-night Wrap Party. There will be a live band with performances from top artists.
6) Yeah, I said it WRAP PARTY. It will be on the lower east side alll night long AFTER we close down the final hours of Donations at Coat of Arms. So hold on to your ticket.
7) Didn’t get to Donate a coat during the week? Couldn’t find warm outerwear to Give? Don’t worry man we GOT you- Tickets for the Wrap Party (on the flyer above) are only $15 bucks and a portion of that goes directly to HousingWorks.org. NOW, TELL ME WE DIDN’T GIVE YOU MAD LEEWAY TO MAKE A DONATION;o)
Options are a beautiful thing. Go get your coats out now my luvs. Let’s help these people stay warm during what looks to be the longest coldest winter in a long time.
They don’t have the options we have, they can’t open the closet and pick one of their many coats- because there is no closet for them to open.
The reason coat drives happen every year.. is because homeless people have no where to store a coat. Don’t let them freeze. Come out and give a little back and then party with us.
Cormega came thru for Joell ortiz at SOBS
Photo of Cormega from his Sept 2010 show at Santos NYC
Cormega with a live band at Santos in NYC from 9/1/2010
Cormega rocking with a full band backing him up